What is a vaginoplasty?
A vaginoplasty is the gynecological subspecialty that seeks to correct and improve anomalies . These anomalies may have a congenital, acquired, or involutional origin, requiring replacement or repair of the vulvar and vaginal anatomy and their functions. It’s divided in:
- Reconstructive or repairing surgery: this surgery aims to hide or reconstruct the destructive effects. These effects can be due to a congenital malformation, a tumor or oncogenic resection, a previous surgery or produced by childbirth.
- Cosmetic surgery: it is done to modify those areas of the body that are not satisfactory for the patient. These could be for sexual satisfaction, age, aesthetic reasons, among others.
What symptoms should we take into account to decide if we need one?
The symptomatology to be evaluated to make this decision can be very diverse. Symptoms can range from a complete prolapse of the uterus to rectocele or urinary incontinence. It can also be for aesthetic reasons of the labia minora of the vulva or a too wide vagina, etc.
Which can be the causes?
There are several causes among which we find:
- Complete absence of congenital vagina as in Rokitansky-kuster-Hauser syndrome (congenital aplasia of the vagina).
- Total vaginectomy for carcinoma (in these cases neovagina is performed).
- Acquired by one or more vaginal deliveries.
- Acquired by menopause.
- Other factors that affect the vaginal wall.
What is the operation about?
Depending on the cause we want to treat, the operation will be different. The neovagina, total vaginal hystrectomy plus anterior and posterior plasty if appropriate according to the cases with plication of the levator ani muscles, only rectocele fixing the posterior vagina to the peritoneum and leaving the amplitude of the vagina according to sexual desires. Also in menopause when there is dyspareunia (difficult or painful intercourse) local treatments can be administered to regenerate the vaginal wall weakened by hormonal depletion.
What benefits does it offer?
The benefits are based on the cause we treat:
- sexual pleasure
- Improved external appearance
- Correction of incontinence of urine and/or feces, in the case of prolapses
- Lead a normal and pleasant life